Windows PuTTY Installer¶
We recommned you to download "A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel" with Pageant (SSH authentication agent) and PuTTYgen (PuTTY key generator) which is available here.
After installation you can proceed directly to private keys authentication using "Putty".
"Change Password for Existing Private Key" is optional.
"Generate a New Public/Private key pair" is intended for users without Public/Private key in the initial email containing login credentials.
"Pageant" is optional.
PuTTY - How to Connect to the IT4Innovations Cluster¶
- Run PuTTY
- Enter Host name and Save session fields with login address and browse Connection - SSH - Auth menu. The Host Name input may be in the format "firstname.lastname@example.org" so you don't have to type your login each time.In this example we will connect to the Salomon cluster using "salomon.it4i.cz".
- Category - Connection - SSH - Auth: Select Attempt authentication using Pageant. Select Allow agent forwarding. Browse and select your private key file.
- Return to Session page and Save selected configuration with Save button.
- Now you can log in using Open button.
- Enter your username if the Host Name input is not in the format "email@example.com".
- Enter passphrase for selected private key file if Pageant SSH authentication agent is not used.
Another PuTTY Settings¶
- Category - Windows - Translation - Remote character set and select UTF-8.
- Category - Terminal - Features and select Disable application keypad mode (enable numpad)
- Save your configuration on Session page in to Default Settings with Save button.
Pageant SSH Agent¶
Pageant holds your private key in memory without needing to retype a passphrase on every login.
- Run Pageant.
- On Pageant Key List press Add key and select your private key (id_rsa.ppk).
- Enter your passphrase.
- Now you have your private key in memory without needing to retype a passphrase on every login.
PuTTY Key Generator¶
PuTTYgen is the PuTTY key generator. You can load in an existing private key and change your passphrase or generate a new public/private key pair.
Change Password for Existing Private Key¶
You can change the password of your SSH key with "PuTTY Key Generator". Make sure to backup the key.
- Load your private key file with Load button.
- Enter your current passphrase.
- Change key passphrase.
- Confirm key passphrase.
- Save your private key with Save private key button.
Generate a New Public/Private Key¶
You can generate an additional public/private key pair and insert public key into authorized_keys file for authentication with your own private key.
- Start with Generate button.
- Generate some randomness.
- Enter a comment for your key using format 'firstname.lastname@example.org'. Enter key passphrase. Confirm key passphrase. Save your new private key in "_.ppk" format with _Save private key* button.
- Save the public key with Save public key button. You can copy public key out of the ‘Public key for pasting into authorized_keys file’ box.
- Export private key in OpenSSH format "id_rsa" using Conversion - Export OpenSSH key
- Now you can insert additional public key into authorized_keys file for authentication with your own private key. You must log in using ssh key received after registration. Then proceed to How to add your own key.